Are you able to drive cost accountability?
Cost showback is a fundamental aspect of FinOps. By providing full transparency into service costs, showback drives behavior change at the engineer and business unit level.
However, implementing a showback model in a multicloud environment can be challenging because each cloud provider has its own billing rules and data. To drive cloud cost accountability across business units, you need a tool that allows you to track and allocate cloud spending across all your environments.
Identify your showback maturity level
As a starting point, consider the following questions:
- Can you see your costs in a multi-account/multi-provider pane of glass?
- Are costs tracked at the account or team level?
- Are you able to allocate 100% of your cloud costs? Are shared costs and discounts allocated equitably?
- Can you automatically ingest financial and operational data into your cost model?
- Do users use tags to track costs? Is your tagging governed? Is your compliance
at high levels?
- Do cloud consumers and business units have access to their cost and usage data?
- Do they understand the important aspects of their cloud spend, as well as
how to optimize it?
Cost accountability requires a robust, defensible, and accurate showback model.